Saturday, October 18, 2008

Scripture Saturday - James 1:12


"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." - James 1:12(NIV)


This is a devotional from "The Word for You Today."

God isn't impressed by human ability, dynamic personalities, titles, and designer clothes. He respects people who, when they get knocked down, bounce back with their faith intact, more determined the ever to live for Him. Perseverance means staying in the fight and refusing to give up.

Do you have a favorite devotional? Please share it with us by clicking on the comments link below.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I've found two versions of the scripture I'll share today,and I'm only sure of the source for one of them!

The scripture is:

2 Corinthians 5:7 which says:

"We walk by faith, not by sight."

This is the version I'm not sure of, but I use both "The Word For You Today" and "Our Daily Bread" devotional guides, so it's possible it came from one of those. In "The Daily Application Study Bible" that I use for my daily scripture readings I found this version:

"That is why we live by believing and not by seeing"

Both versions remind me that without faith, it is impossible to please God!

Dawn said...

"Be still and know that I am God" -Psalm 46:10

When this scripture came up during the video we watched a few weeks ago in our Bible Study, it impacted me in a big way,so I jotted it down. When I mentioned it the next week, we had a lengthy discussion about it. We all agreed that in our hectic day-to-day life experiences we seldom take a step back to be "still", and therefore notice all that God blesses us with. Sadly we're more inclined to notice what isn't perfect. We also took note that Jesus Himself often went off by Himself to "spiritually recharge" Himself, and since we aspire to be more like Him, we ought to make it a point to try to do so ourselves! Perhaps it spoke to me particularly when it did, because I feel like I've been running from one thing to another more than usual this month!