Monday, March 1, 2010

Talk Tuesday-What Is Repentance?

What does it mean TO REPENT? The words REPENT and REPENTANCE appear numerous times throughout the Bible.

In the Old Testament, the prophet Ezekiel says,"'Therefore, O house of Israel, I will judge you, each one according to his ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall.'” Ezekiel 18:30

The word REPENT, used by Ezekiel in the original Hebrew/Aramaic is: sub, -which means, to turn back: from the base meaning of turning back comes from the fig. extension of restoration of relationship, as when one turns in repentance to God.

In the New Testament Jesus says, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Matthew 4:17.

The word REPENT in Greek is: metanoeo, - which means, to repent, to change any or all of the elements composing one's life: attitude, thoughts and behaviours concerning the demands of God for right living. (All references to Hebrew & Greek translations are from:James, LL.D., S.T.D. 2001. The Strongest Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan)

Our Movie Monday post features Evangelist Billy Graham (November 4th, 1986 Tallahassee, Fl.) who says, "“Now you can't change your past, but you can determine your destiny by deciding for Christ. But Christ can change your past. He died on the cross so that all the sins you've ever committed, all the things you've ever done wrong, are forgiven. What do you have to do? You have to repent of your sins, that means to be willing to change your way of living.....You may have no power to do it...but if you surrender to Christ, He'll give you the power.”

REPENTANCE implies an acknowledgement of our sinfulness, being sorry for our way of living and a willingness to turn away from sin to GOD. Jesus Christ is the only way to the Father. Once we REPENT of our sins and open our hearts to Jesus, He will restore our relationship with GOD. He will enable us, through the power of the Holy Spirit, to truly change.

"But when the kindness and love of GOD our Saviour appeared, He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Saviour, so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life." Titus 3:4-7


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I look at the Old Wooden Cross on the home page I see strength of Steel.
I would say repentance revolves, resolves and restores around and through the Holy Spirit. It take an act of STEEL of forgiving ourselves and making it right with God and His people.
It will restore our Faith and bring back the JOY of the Lord in our hearts as we let the word of God dwell and work richly in us.
Keep well.Live well..Love well.
God Bless

Anonymous said...

For me, repentance is an active turning away from my former life, where I decided what I wanted, to a surrendering to Christ. I had a lot of things to say 'sorry' for and ask Him to help me. He really did help me to overcome many things that I thought I'd never be able to. Because of Jesus, I am here, right here...serving the Lord and walking in the comfort of His peace!

Blessed said...

Through the act of repentance I acknowledge that I have sinned and that my sinful state is unacceptable to God. I make a firm resolve to leave behind the old life, as characterized by my sinful ways. I equally acknowledge that Jesus died for me, and paid the price for me to save me from eternal punishment for my sins. I therefore move towards the future and renounce my old lifestyle, ie. I beg pardon for my sins, I seek a personal relationship with God, and I turn away from old habits.

I totally agree with Anonymous1 that I must rely on the power of the most Holy Spirit, as it is foolhardy for me to rely on my own strength. Through experience, I know now that my weaknesses will always be thrown at me by the evil one. I therefore have to constantly surround myself with the things of God, constantly call upon His name, and plead the most precious blood of Jesus on my life.