Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Talk Tuesday-The Subtlety of Sin, Temptation's Call

I recently disconnected my cable. For the last three years, I have been 'shut in' due to illness and have not been watching much t.v.. However, from time to time I went on binges, watching hours of spiritually draining shows. So, a few months ago, I simply got rid of it all. I mean, why watch stuff that impedes my spiritual growth? Doesn't the Bible instruct us to be holy? Aren't we encouraged to hold on to a separate value system from the world's? And how can we do that if we are constantly feeding ourselves 'bad food'?
"...for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:16

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8

Well, last week I discovered online t.v. I could watch shows on the internet for free! I love action and adventure, so I began to watch a few new cop series. I had to stop the programs on two separate occasions because the language and content were questionable. Great self-control and discipline, right? Well, NOT really. The thought process leading up to my decision was both enlightening and disturbing.

Here's the thing. I WANTED to continue watching them. I was thoroughly engaged, on the edge of my seat, enjoying the action. My first thought was, 'It's not that bad.' My second thought, 'Don't let anyone/Andrew catch me.' My third thought, 'No one will know.' My last thought, 'But GOD will know.' Yikes. Seriously?! Yes, seriously. I was amazed at my reasoning process. The first thing I tried to do was convince myself that what I was watching wasn't all that bad. Then I thought about hiding. Then I tried to convince myself that I could keep it secret, after all I wasn't really doing anything all that bad. And shamefully, my last thought was of reality that GOD is all-seeing. Today, as I was reading the book of James, I came across this scripture:

"Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, 'I am tempted by God'; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death." James 1:12-15

This made me think of the SUBTLETY OF SIN. So, what safeguards can we put in place to protect us from falling into temptation? Please share with us as we endeavour to encourage one another to run this race worthy of the calling of Christ. Click on the comments link below. We want to hear from you...and thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post hit me like a thunderbolt...I have of late succumbed to sin. The only safeguard I can think of is bringing it into the light. NO one knows...how shameful...how deceitful... I have repented but...the guilt remains. I can't see how this can be shared. Accountability with friends and family would help. But the people I know hardly speak of such things.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anonymous,

Thank you for sharing. Finding someone you can trust to share it with and pray with you, is the first step of breaking the stronghold in your life.

James 5:16
"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."

At a particular point in my life, I began struggling with a very disturbing thought. I felt like it came out of nowhere but couldn't stop thinking about it because I couldn't believe it had even entered my mind. I thought that if I told anyone, it'd be OVER for me. However, I kept combatting it with the Word of GOD. Every time I got the thought, I would read a scripture from the Bible. Then I finally told one of my closest friends, who is a trusted confidante and prayer warrior. Can I tell you how SHOCKED I was that as soon as I opened my mouth to confess it, the thought itself became smaller and less imposing? God finally gave me the victory. What a battle it was!

And BTW, as Christians, we NEED to speak of these things!