Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Talk Tuesday-In The Boat With Jesus

35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” 39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. 40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” Mark 4:35-40

As I sat in church a few weeks ago, I heard a sermon preached about how we should have faith and confidence in the midst of the storm because of the knowledge of WHO is in the boat with us-JESUS. In Deuteronomy 31:6, before Moses died, he instructed the Israelites with these words of wisdom prior to them entering the promised land: "6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” In the same way, God's enduring presence is manifested through His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ the Incarnate One, who is fully GOD and fully man, part of the Holy Trinity (John 1:1; John 1:14; Philippians 2:6; John 10:30; Matthew 28:19). His presence is always with us who believe.

The sermon challenged me, and as I began to examine my response to the most recent storm we found ourselves in, I began to pat myself on back...that was short lived. Another wave rolled right in and rocked our boat soon afterwards. Yet, as I look back, I realize that GOD always prepares us for the imminent turbulence. Weeks before this sermon was preached, the Holy Spirit led me to Psalm 93 in my devotion time. I had been meditating on these words for quite some time: "The seas have lifted up, O Lord, the seas have lifted up their voice; the seas have lifted up their pounding waves. Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea—the Lord on high is mighty," Psalm 93:4.  So by the time I sat in church that Sunday, it was clear to me what the LORD was saying. During our lives, the storms will come, our boats will be rocked by the pounding of the waves caused by the seemingly unrelenting winds and rain, but our response is to always be one of PEACE, FAITH, CONFIDENCE and TRUST as we fix our eyes on the ONE who is in the boat with us. HE is unchanging, immutable, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent-HE IS GOD. So, I lifted my head once again, and instead of staring disconsolately at my feet, I looked up to the heavens and began to give thanks.

JESUS IS IN THE BOAT WITH US! PEACE, BE STILL!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Natasha. Thanks for this word.

What spoke to me is 'MIGHTIER is the Lord --- than the waves!' God is mightier than whatever he is allowing me to face right now. I'm having real problems sleeping these nights. After reading this word, I'm gonna speak to my waves (sleeplessness) and rebuke them in Jesus name as Jesus did the storm. I will tell my sleeplessness 'be calm', as Jesus did when he spoke to the waves.

God is MIGHTIER than any wave that has risen up against me. After all, it was Jesus' idea to get into the boat and go to the other side, so he knows what's facing me on my waters, as he leads me out today! Thanks alot. Blessings.

PS: Prayed for you today too Natasha!