Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Talk Tuesday-The 'Wait' of the World

Have you ever felt like the weight of the world was on your shoulders as you had to wait upon the LORD for answered prayer? Why does God ask us to trust Him in our trials, trust Him with our loved ones and trust Him with those things that matter the most to us? I know that He is able, but are we? In the Old Testament, the Israelites were surrounded by hostile nations, constantly going to battle, and even faced exile. Yet the Word of the Lord said:

"But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

"Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6 

"You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You." Isaiah 26:3

I confess that I am constantly learning what it means to wait upon the LORD, while entrusting Him with the weight I am carrying on my shoulders. It is humbling and painful as I wrestle with myself. Somehow, as human beings, we believe that we have the power to effect change by worrying, striving, attempting to control and fix situations and people in our lives. Yet GOD is the Potter, and we are the clay; He is our Father and we are His children. He is the Creator and we are the created. Sometimes, He simply asks us just to wait in stillness, and trust, fixing our minds upon Him and Him alone. Why does He ask us to wait and trust? Probably so that we will be able to learn of the character of Him who made us. Probably so that we will not fear.

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; though its waters roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with its swelling." Psalm 46:1-2

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am  your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

Let us hold fast to Him who is able to exceedingly, abundantly above all we can ask or imagine, as we wait upon Him with faith, hope, and trust. Let us encourage each other on towards the finish line!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that post. I needed that stark and humbling reminder. I am one of those who strive to 'look by faith' yet quite often seem to be caught up in the spectacle of sight. I know that it is prudent to wait upon the Lord and cast off the 'troubling sight spectacle' that sashays itself before my eyes almost on a daily basis, and so in the midst of this great trial that I am presently that has been 'running roughshod' in my life, I will wait upon the Lord! He alone is sovereign! He is the author and finisher of our faith. I have drawn strength and courage from your post! I will strive to worry less and "wait" upon the Lord more. I know my God will come through - HE ALWAYS DOES and HE COMES THROUGH RIGHT ON TIME!
Once again, thank you for the timely post - I needed that!
God bless you and Andrew immensely.

Anonymous said...

I too have been wrestling lately with this concept.

A guy appeared in my church recently that I haven't seen in over 25 years. I met him way back when I first started my walk with Christ. Seeing him 2 Sunday’s ago was a reminder, that though much water has passed under the bridge, I'm not where I thought I would be? God reminds me that it's first my character He's after and not my 'expectation' of where I thought I would be in life -- as though I were the potter and not God?

Yesterday someone at a biblestudy we run at work said:'we are like a cup and God is the ocean'. I really needed to hear that analogy. How can my small understanding that demands and craves 'reasons' and answers contain God -- who is the Great Ocean! Trust. Trust. Trust. I am a cup -- a small one too -- and he is the Potter (Ocean)!! He's still doing something in my life and hasn't forgotten about me or you!!

Beloved said...

Thanks for a great post and comments. It also helps me to remember that Jesus is not "looking at" me as I wait, He is actually identifying with me and all the emotions that are going with that waiting process as I am transformed ... He is walking in my shoes with me. He's walking with you in your shoes, too. He doesn't despise us for our lack of faith... indeed we have that mustard seed that He said is actually enough. Keep hope alive knowing He is interceding for us when we falter... that's when we get stronger again ... not because we drummed more faith up by ourselves. Thank You, God. We do love You.

Natasha said...

@Anonymous # 1-I am so thankful to the HOLY SPIRIT for inspiring this post! It is funny, how when I focus on the situation, I become overwhelmed. When I focus on GOD, I am grounded and comforted in the reality of His truth. The whole 'walking by faith, not by sight', is such a tough one, though! Yes, you are right, GOD is faithful, He always comes through! Thank you for THAT reminder

@ Anonymous #2-I love that! "God reminds me that it's first my character He's after and now my 'expectation'.'' That's pretty profound-and true. Today I just read a devotional that issued a stark reminder that crosses were not meant to live on but to die on. Ouch! That hurt! The whole 'dying to self, in order to live for Christ' is a call that requires daily submission to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Incredible...Come Holy Spirit, we need you!

@Beloved- Wow, great reminder of the compassion, mercy and understanding of Jesus our Lord. It made me think of Romans 8:34, "Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us."

Thank you all for your encouraging comments and sharing your journey of faith with us at BGO!

Anonymous said...

I gained so much also from your responses to Anonymous No.1,2 &3! I am so very blesed by BGO and friends. God bless all