Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Talk Tuesday-When Faith Pierces Through the Darkness of Sight

Sight can often bring a blinding spiritual darkness that causes us to stumble, lose hope and fall into despair. We may spend days, months, and years fervently praying about something or for someone, only to see the situation remain the same or become worse. When we begin, we expect God's answer to come speedily, with the swiftness of a defender's arrow or the protective cloak of a hero's cape. Yet sometimes, we are made to wait, and wait, and...wait. We are gently reminded, "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day,” 2 Peter 3:8. 

So what is this thing called faith that is so powerful that it can be a small as a mustard seed and still bring down a mountain; so edifying that it sustains our very lives?

I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you. Matthew 17:20

Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God,’” Matthew 4:4. 

Faith is trusting in the benevolence of a loving God whose love knows no sacrificial bounds: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life,” John 3:16. 

Faith is going beyond the blindness of sight into the stubborn acceptance of God's reality; it is trusting in His Word beyond the frailty of today. “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see,” Hebrews 11:1.

Faith is allowing His Word to guide our earthly steps into the eternal reality of heaven's narrow gate. “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path,” Psalm 119:105. 

Faith is knowing that God does not lie, “God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should change his mind. 
Does He speak and then not act? Does He promise and not fulfill?” Numbers 23:19.

Faith gives us the courage to obey-to go out to the brokenhearted, the disenfranchised, the poor, the forgotten, the wounded, and the outcast, knowing that we walk with the power of Jesus Christ to be His hands and feet upon this earth. It enables us to look beyond our selfish borders into the unfamiliar territory of other people's pain. Just as God sent His Son, His Son now sends us:

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
 because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. 
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, 
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness,
 a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendour. Isaiah 61:1-3

So, in the light of the darkness we have just witnessed here in North America-the shooting at a bbq at Danzig St. in Scarborough, Ontario and the mass murder at a cinema in Aurora, Colorado-let us remember to hold on to the faith that pierces through the darkness of sight. It is a faith that motivates us to love.

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

5 comments:

Beloved said...

Thanks for this post. What a blessing for believers to have the Word to go back to, and the presence of God to rely on, in the face of such frightening events. It does motivate us to love others so that we can share this faith with them as well, and bring hope.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this awesome post" It has truly blessed me. These particular lines resonate so profoundly within my spirit. "Faith is going beyond the blindness of sight into the stubborn acceptance of God's reality; it is trusting in His Word beyond the frailty of today."
The more I look at the situation I have been bringing before the Lord, the worse it seems to have become,the enemy seems to be kicking up his heels in glee but I know 'for sure' that the victory is at hand because my God who has promised me 'He will not let me down.' And so the enemy dances on in false glee, but I know my Redeemer lives and so I continue to walk by faith and not by sight because I know, that I know, that my victory is a cinch! "God is not a man that He should lie..." Jesus has never broken a promise yet!
Yes, my FAITH PIERCES THROUGH THE DARKNESS OF SIGHT!
May God be praised!

Tasha said...

Amen! :) Thank you for your encouragement in the midst of a dark time for us who live in Scarborough! "Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world" 1 John 4:4 <3

Rivermoon said...

I have just walked through one of my darkest valleys these few months - (1) my father has been in and out of the hospital, (2) I have just graduated but still cannot find a job (while all my savings have been used up and my parents depend on me financially and facing the risk of eviction when I am not if I have enough money to pay rent every month).

During that time, I see no hope. My only resort is to ask brothers and sisters in Christ to pray for my father's health condition and source of income. With the continuous encouragement from them, I was repeatedly reminded that the Lord loves me and He is walking with me every step during my darkest period. He promised He will pour His protection, provision & blessings on me and my family. I just need faith to hold on to His promises when I did not see any clues of this happening.

Things started to come around after 2 months. My father's surgery was miraculously smooth and lacked of complication as the doctor said that the surgery was a high-risk one for my father's health.

I got the advice from my volunteering supervisor to apply for Ontario Works and get my parents to apply for ODSP. Sufficient money then keeps coming in every month to cover the apartment rent so that my parents and me do not have to evict and we still have money for daily expenses such as food and bills.

It is one of my truly precious experiences in my life to be showered in the Lord's complete care. He only requires me to have faith in Him and just follows what He needs me to do.

I am study the Book of Romans for bible study. I found that I was enlightened about the faith for the Lord He requests from us. It does not require any hard work. He just needs our trust/faith in Him that His promises are always valid as He is a living God who will never change.

Natasha said...

Rivermoon,

Thank you so much for sharing your testimony of the faith that GOD requires of us and the faithfulness of our LORD!!!! That was so inspiring and encouraging. I often remind myself of Psalm 18:25:

Psalm 18:25
New International Version (NIV)
25 To the faithful you show yourself faithful,

God has been taking us through such an intense faith journey, and constantly reminding us to TRUST HIM...to walk by that TRUST and not by what our eyes see.

Thank you again for sharing your testimony and heart with us here at BGO! We continue to pray for your dad's health...HE IS ABLE!

Natasha and Andrew