Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Talk Tuesday-What Do You Like To Eat?

Um, let me start off this week's Talk Tuesday by openly confessing something about myself-I LOVE to eat! Sweets are good, desserts, ice cream and junk food are fine, but I'm more of a meat and potatoes kinda' person. I love food, as in solid, good, hearty food...and if you read last week's post, you'll know that Christmas means a LOT of food! Well, it occurred to me recently that what I put in my body has a bearing on my health. I guess its the same with us spiritually. What we feed ourselves will have a bearing on what we look like as Christians.

In John 4 we meet Jesus in the process of sharing the gift of salvation with a Samaritan woman at the well. That's a cultural double-whammy for Him: a Jew talking to a Samaritan, and a man talking to a woman. His disciples, 'surprised to find Him talking to a woman,' say nothing to Him but instead urge Him to eat. 31 Meanwhile his disciples urged him, “Rabbi, eat something.” 32 But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.” 33 Then his disciples said to each other, “Could someone have brought him food?” 34 “My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. 35 Don’t you have a saying, ‘It’s still four months until harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest. 36 Even now the one who reaps draws a wage and harvests a crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together.37 Thus the saying ‘One sows and another reaps’ is true. 38 I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor.” John 4:31-38

Wow! The disciples got quite a mouthful from JESUS. He tells them that His spiritual food is to obey the will of His Father, which is to harvest souls for His Kingdom. To the Samaritan woman drawing water at the well, JESUS says, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life,” John 4:13-14.

So, as we approach Christmas...I know, I know, here we go again, right?...let us begin to prepare to eat the food that JESUS did. Let us prepare to do the will of the Father and share the Good News with those we meet. Merry Christmas and Happy Eating!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an inspiring post. It reverberates within the depths of my spirit man! Even as I partake of the blessings of the good food God has provided, may I be ever mindful to share the Good News in such a time when the harvest is rich and there is dire need for labours.

Anonymous said...

There is dire need for labourers in God's vineyard