Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Talk Tuesday-When He Says Your Name

This week I was reading about the Crucifixion and the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. My heart grieved as I imagined the pain of the cross, the pain of suffering and the shock His followers felt, seeing Him crucified in such a degrading way. It was as though He willed Himself to endure it all to the bitter end, just so that He could declare, 'It is finished,' John 19:30.

I wanted the Resurrection without the Crucifixion. I wanted to experience the joy without the tears, the victory without the trial. Like most of us, I want to rejoice in eternity without ever knowing the valley of the shadow of death.

I read about Mary Magdalene, the woman from whom Jesus had cast out 7 demons.

“11 Now Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb 12 and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus’ body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot. 13 They asked her, 'Woman, why are you crying?' 'They have taken my Lord away,' she said, 'and I don’t know where they have put him.'” John 20:11-13

I imagined her slumped over in sorrow, in the agony of confusion. Her Lord has been crucified, and now His body had been removed. Her Champion and Redeemer, the Restorer of her dignity and sense of worth, had simply vanished. Engulfed in anguish and despair, she heard the voice of the One who saved her, but did not recognize it.

“14 At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus. 15 He asked her, 'Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?' Thinking he was the gardener, she said, 'Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.'” John 20:14-15

Then next words shook my heart, causing me to weep as I realized how powerful they truly were.

“16 Jesus said to her, 'Mary.'” John 20:16

It caused me to think about the many times I have been so consumed by my own problems, and so overwhelmed by life's circumstances that I forgot He was even there. I remembered how it felt when I heard the Lord call out my own name, and how it felt to know that He was right there with me in the midst of the storm. I was never alone. We are never alone.

Sometimes people wonder how Christians can worship in the midst of suffering. They marvel at our ability to stand in faith when sight screams, 'there is no hope.' It is because of the One who says, “...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen.” Matthew 28:29

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, He knows us by name and He knows where we live. Revelations 2:13 - I know where you live - this generally confirm that we live where the prince of this world has his throne. That Jesus came down to where to earth, God in flesh - this settle the matter.

I am even more amaze at the fact that God knows our exact location. Acts 9:11 -The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. I use my GPS often to find addresses, but God knows our location, what we are doing and yes, He call us by name. What a Mighty God we serve