Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Talk Tuesday - Be Holy, For God Is Holy

I was born in Trinidad.  I loved Trinidad and it’s culture.  The carnival, the costumes, the drinking and the partying. When I became a christian I gave up my life as a ‘Trini.’  I knew my old life did not please God.  It was interesting, I would go to Carnival on Monday and Tuesday then for my ashes in church on Wednesday. I tried to fool myself saying,”This is my culture...it’s ok.”

Now that I have surrendered my life to Christ I see things in a new way.  I went to an event and there was music from my past.  My pastor was there with us.  All of a sudden a couple started to bump and wine in front of us.  I felt so ashamed.  I looked at my wife and then I looked at my pastor.  I could not believe that this is what I used to do.  I felt God’s disgust.  

Carnival is coming up in Trinidad.  Before you decide to sip that rum and coke or wine on that person, see what God sees.  Sin.  Yes Sin.  I don’t care how much people say that it is our culture, what you are doing is detestable to God.  Sin is Sin.  No matter how you do it.

“Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”  1 Peter 1:13-16


“And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.12 The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.” Romans 13:11-14


May God bless and keep you in His presence,

Andrew

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! Writing such a post takes fortitude, strength and courage. Thank you Andrew Akam!! Your post echoes my sentiments on the vulgarity that has blanketed Carnival for decades and especially so in recent times. May I take this opportunity to share the testimony of my dear friend who indulged in the 'bump and wine' and nakedness for years and how she came to an abrupt halt. She said, on a Carnival Tuesday a few years ago, she was dressed in the most revealing costume as she 'wined' in wild abandon to the pulsating beat of music, when suddenly she looked down at herself and felt so very ashamed. This was quickly followed by an urgency to 'cover up her nakedness.' She related: "I suddenly began to repent, as I walked out of that band, jumped into a taxi, and headed home trying to look inconspicuous, as there was nothing I could find to cover up myself. Today, I am a Christian who never compromises her values. " What she said to me amounted to a genuine commitment to seek diligently to "Be holy, for God is holy."

Natasha said...

Wow, Anonymous, that is a powerful testimony! Thanks so much for sharing! GOD bless you abundantly!